Can you take up the DIY false ceiling challenge?
The DIY bug may have gotten you, big time! We understand- but putting a roof (or in this case, a false ceiling) above your head (in the literal sense of the word) is far more difficult than its idiomatic version.
If a false ceiling design has got your attention and do-it-yourself assignment has been part of your plan- go for it! The feeling of accomplishment on playing a part to build such an integral part of your home would be unparalleled. Here are just a few tips and tricks before you take on such an ambitious project:
Before you begin
- If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. These words ring especially true when it comes to any large-scale DIY process. Start off by creating a sketch of the room with apt measurements (length and width of ceiling and measurement from ceiling to wall for height estimation), tracing the lighting and electrical wiring.
- Be a harsh judge of your skills to put up a false ceiling. Don’t overestimate your strengths and don’t underestimate your weaknesses. Ask for help from peers who may be able to bridge those weaknesses when it comes to the areas you anticipate trouble with.
- Start the process off by scourging Pinterest for false ceiling designs that appeal to you. That’ll give you an idea of the material that appeals to you most. Do you prefer easy and simple POP or gypsum false ceiling designs or a PVC or wood false ceiling design? This is so you will know what exactly you’ll need to source for. The measurements help you plan for exactly how much of each material you would need.
- YouTube is a treasure trove of visual information where you can see others who are on a similar trajectory of installing a false ceiling by themselves. This gives you a chance to anticipate challenges, get a few tips and tricks and keep everything ready before you start. You will also become familiar with the technical terminology used in false ceiling installation.
- Research the two different types of false ceiling installation- would you need to build a wooden beam to support the false ceiling design or do you want a suspended false ceiling? See what works best in your space.
It’s Ceiling Time
- Get all your material ready. Keep all your resources at hand before you begin.
- First, install the wall supports and frame to ensure that the work that you do has a steady base. This is an important aspect from a safety standpoint. Make way for the lighting and electrical fixtures as you make the frame. Make sure the ceiling is level at this point of the process.
- Fit the sections of the ceilings, using clips for section joints.
- Wiring for lighting and other electrical fixtures are then installed.
- Use appropriate screws to attach your preferred ceiling material to the created framework.
- Finishing of the joints and edges is done.
- The electrical and lighting fixtures are then installed.
- Painting or pasting wallpaper can be done at this stage of the process to complete the false ceiling design!
When things don’t go as per plan
- Don’t hesitate to reach out to experts when you feel like things aren’t going as per plan. Aesthetic concerns aside, there is a huge safety aspect to consider when it comes to installing a false ceiling.
For a solution with a similar satisfaction level to a complete DIY but one that wouldn’t need you to get your hands dirty, find a designer that involves you in every step along the way of the planning and installation process of a home ceiling design. You select the style, you finalise the material, handshake on a budget for the DIY sake, the professionals then take charge and bring your vision to reality.
We would highly recommend this option- so that you can sit back, relax and watch the professionals install a false ceiling design chosen and customised, just for you. The designers at Bespoke Decor Kochi & Thrissur may be able to help you out that way!
With a showroom in Ernakulam (Kochi) and Thrissur and servicing Kollam, Pathanamthitta, Kottayam, Alappuzha, Idukki, Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode (Calicut), Wayanad, Coimbatore and Kannur areas, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your false ceiling transformation started.